Friday, January 13, 2012

Our Week in Review

We had the opportunity this week to take a little trip with my hubby.  He had to go to Cincinnati on business and we were lucky enough to be able to go with him.  It is very nice to have a flexible schedule that allows us to do things like this.  It is one of the many benefits of homeschooling.  Our school goes with us and our kids learn on the go while in new cities.  Of course, Buddy Bear (my son), was not excited that he would be doing school in the hotel room during the day, he thought it should be a VACATION from school, but I am pretty sure we just had Christmas break.  Baby Bear was excited to be working on school again as she is just doing preschool and has went through phases of officially doing school work and not realizing she was doing school work.  So off we went on our adventure.  The trip to Cincinnati was uneventful, other than our GPS truly has a mind of her own and seems to love sending us down back roads.  So after a long car ride and checking into our hotel room it was time to wind down for the night.  On Tuesday, hubby was off to work and it was time for us to do school.  Buddy Bear did really well at finding a place to work and getting school done while I bounced back and forth between helping him, teaching Baby Bear, and working on my own Bible Devotions. The morning was pretty uneventful and very productive.  Later that afternoon, my hubby came back to the hotel and it was beautiful outside (in the 50's in January) so we decided to check out the Cincinnati Zoo.  They are having Penguin Days and admission is 1/2 off which is nice because a lot of the animals were not out even though it was a warmer day.  The zoo is beautiful and has a lot of really cool animals.  This is definitely a zoo worth going to and one that we want to hit again in the summer when all of the animals will be out.  After our zoo adventures we spent some time driving around Cincinnati since most of us had not been there before. We tried driving across the bridge to Kentucky, but with rush hour bumper to bumper traffic and two kids it just didn't seem like a very good idea.  Guess we will save that adventure for a different trip.  We got some food and then went to check out Jungle Jim's.  Oh My Goodness!!!!  This awesome International Market was this foodie and home cook's dream.  I couldn't even begin to take in all the awesomeness of this place.  It was  everything I have ever dreamed of in a grocery store and so much more.  They had food from countries all around the world.  They had health food, junk food, a bakery, a deli, a butcher shop, a seafood shop, barrels of pickles, an olive bar, cheese from every where, and oh so much more.  I could have spent an entire day in there looking around and I will definitely go back there...many times.  Then we went back to the hotel for some swimming.  The second day started much like the first.  We had breakfast and got to work on school.  After lunch, my hubby came and picked us up so we could drop him back off at his client's and we could go do some running.  We went to Ikea.  Wow!  Again I was in awe of a store.  I have never been to an Ikea store, the closest one to us is over 2 hours away, but I have always wanted to go and check it out.  Ikea was fun and there is so much there, I will definitely go back especially when my hubby can go too.  It was reasonably priced and everything for your home is in one place, what more could a girl ask for?  Then we went in search for some things my hubby needed.  We ended up looking in the Bass Pro Shop store.  I have never been in one before...okay I am realizing, I lead a sheltered life....I have never been much of a shopper, more of a looker, but apparently I have never been in a lot of stores which could be because we live in a small town and all of the bigger stores we need are in the surrounding towns, I guess they just don't have the really, big stores.  Anyway, the Bass Pro Shop was really neat.  We loved how rustic it was and seeing all the nature scenes.  It was pretty cool and fun to just look around.  That night after my hubby got done with work, late, we headed out for dinner.  We didn't end up anywhere fancy, but we decided we needed to try Cincinnati chili and ended up at Gold Star Chili.  It was pretty tasty and the Cincinnati chili gets a thumbs up from this family who loves chili and has tried it almost every place we have visited.  Yesterday we headed home.  I think we drove through just about every weather condition an upcoming snow storm can bring - THICK fog, rain, sleet, snow, clear conditions.  The trip home was again pretty uneventful and of course our GPS decided to take us on some back roads, but I guess she figures we need to see more country side.  That pretty much sums up our week.  It was fun and we got to see a new city.  I hope we get to go back and explore it some more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog and leave a comment, it means the world to me!