Friday, January 27, 2012

Stuffed Pizza Bread

As I posted earlier this week, I love to cook.  I love cooking my family's favorites, I love trying new recipes from websites, blogs, magazines, and cookbooks, I love recreating delicious meals that we have had at restaurants or even at friends' houses, and I love coming up with my own recipes.  A lot of times the ideas for my own recipes start as something I have seen on TV or online or wherever and then I play with the idea in my head until the recipe comes together just right.  So the other day I was watching Rachael Ray's daytime TV show and they were showing these amazing looking Pull-Apart Bread recipes created by her staff.  One of the staff members created a bread bowl pizza dip that made even Buddy Bear stop playing and watch the segment.  That got my brain rolling.  If I just had a nice loaf of Italian or French bread I could create something.  I have really been craving pizza lately and so ingredients just started running through my head.  So the next day I was given a loaf of bread, it wasn't exactly the Italian bread I was thinking of but it kept the wheels turning of how I could make a recipe with it.  Now I must give you 2 warnings before you read any further and no skipping ahead to the pictures....

Warning 1:  When I am cooking I tend to just eyeball it when measuring so the measurements for some ingredients may be a little goofy.  (*I do not eyeball it when baking, baking is a science that I have not mastered well enough to just eyeball yet so I must measure.)
Warning 2:  This recipe was delicious.  Buddy Bear stood drooling over the oven begging the bread to finish quicker and Baby Bear who is a take it or leave it kind of pizza girl didn't hesitate to eat, so I know it was pretty good.  Also Buddy Bear had seconds and demanded we make this again soon.  Yea, me!!!

CJ's Stuffed Pizza Bread
This recipe was created according to what my family enjoys on pizza, you could swap out the ingredients for whatever you enjoy on your pizza.
1 Medium Onion Sliced
1 lb. Hot Sausage
1 1/2 cups Pizza Sauce
1 - 5oz pkg. Pepperoni
Green Olives cut in half
1 - 8oz brick of Mozzarella cheese
1 Loaf of Italian Bread
Parmesan Cheese
Olive oil or cooking spray

1.  Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2.  Cook the sausage and onions together breaking apart the sausage into pieces.

3.  While the sausage and onions are cooking, cut the bread in half.  Once the bread is cut in half, scoop out the insides of the bread using a spoon (or a knife if you are not clumsy like me).  Place both halves of the bread and the scooped out parts (even the crumbs) on a cookie sheet and brush with a little bit of Olive Oil or spray with cooking spray.  Then place the cookie sheet in the oven for few minutes (just keep an eye on it) to just barely brown the bread so it doesn't get soggy when you put your filling in.
4.  Meanwhile, cut up the pepperoni (you could also use sliced pepperoni and not cut it up) and olives and set aside.  
5.  Get the bread out of the oven it is probably ready :)
6.  After the sausage is browned, turn the stove off and add in the pepperoni, olives, and pizza sauce and stir.
7.  Grate the mozzarella cheese.
8.  Place half of the mozzarella cheese in the pan with the other ingredients and stir.
9.  Shake in a generous amount of Parmesan cheese and stir.
10.  Scoop the pizza filling into the bread, you will have some left over.

11.  Wondering what to do with the bread crumbs and scooped out part - throw it into a small casserole dish and cover the bottom with the bread.
12.  Use the leftover filling and place it on top of the bread in the casserole dish.  
13.  Sprinkle remaining mozzarella cheese over the stuffed bread and casserole dish to cover.

14.  Put it in the oven and bake until cheese is melted (and browned just a little if you are like me).  Be careful because the longer you leave it in, the crunchier the bread will get and if you leave it in too long, you won't be able to bite through the bread without breaking a tooth.  


Try not to bite into the stuffed pizza bread the second it comes out of the oven, which is really, really hard, but I don't want you to scald your mouth.  It is worth the couple of minutes wait and it is still delicious in 2 minutes so that it cools just a little.  :)  I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did!  The best part is after eating the bread we were all stuffed so much that the casserole will be today's lunch.  I love it when you get 2 meals out of 1.

I linked up to a Make It Monday Linky Party here,

1 comment:

  1. sounds yummy to us...maybe you can make it when we come down and use more ingredients too :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog and leave a comment, it means the world to me!