Friday, April 6, 2012

Good Friday

Today is Good Friday.  It is the day that my Savior died on the cross for me and my sins.  It is the day Jesus Christ willingly gave His life in exchange for my sin.  He shed His blood to pay the ultimate price for sin.  Jesus died because it was His Father's will for Him.

Luke 22:41-43 And he withdrew from them about a stone's throw, and knelt down and prayed, saying, "Father, if you are willing, remove this cup from me. Nevertheless, not my will, but yours, be done."  And there appeared to him an angel from heaven, strengthening him.

It was not an easy death.  It was brutal.  Jesus was accused, beaten, whipped, tortured, mocked, spit on, and ultimately He was unrecognizable as he made His way to Golgotha to be put upon the cross.  He was even so weak that Simon of Cyrene was pulled from the crowd to carry Jesus' cross.


Matthew 27:26-31  Then he released for them Barabbas, and having scourged Jesus, delivered him to be crucified.  Then the soldiers of the governor took Jesus into the governor's headquarters, and they gathered the whole battalion before him.  And they stripped him and put a scarlet robe on him, and twisting together a crown of thorns, they put it on his head and put a reed in his right hand. And kneeling before him, they mocked him, saying, "Hail, King of the Jews!"  And they spit on him and took the reed and struck him on the head.  And when they had mocked him, they stripped him of the robe and put his own clothes on him and led him away to crucify him. 

Jesus was laid upon the cross and nailed to it.  He, who was innocent, was crucified between two robbers who were not innocent.  He suffered upon the cross as the soldiers cast lots for His clothes, the crowd mocked Him, and even one of the robbers being crucified with Him mocked Him.  Ultimately at just the right moment, Jesus breathed His last breath and committed His Spirit to God.


Luke 23:44-46  It was now about the sixth hour, and there was darkness over the whole land until the ninth hour, while the sun's light failed. And the curtain of the temple was torn in two.  Then Jesus, calling out with a loud voice, said, "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit!" And having said this he breathed his last. 

It was after Jesus was dead that some people realized that He was indeed innocent (other people already knew) .


Luke 23:47  Now when the centurion saw what had taken place, he praised God, saying, "Certainly this man was innocent!" 

The wonderful news is that it didn't end there.  Jesus did die on the cross and was laid in a tomb, but three days later the tomb was empty.  Jesus had risen!  He is alive!  We serve a risen Savior!


Luke 24:1-7  But on the first day of the week, at early dawn, they went to the tomb, taking the spices they had prepared.  And they found the stone rolled away from the tomb, but when they went in they did not find the body of the Lord Jesus.  While they were perplexed about this, behold, two men stood by them in dazzling apparel.  And as they were frightened and bowed their faces to the ground, the men said to them, "Why do you seek the living among the dead?  He is not here, but has risen. Remember how he told you, while he was still in Galilee, that the Son of Man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men and be crucified and on the third day rise." 

Today as I go through my day, I will be thinking of how Jesus died on the cross for me.  He paid the debt for my sin so that I can join Him one day in Heaven.  I am not worthy of the suffering He endured for me, but He did it anyway because He loves me.  He loves me that much and so much more.  It is an awesome thing to know, to accept, and to believe.  I gave my life to Christ a long time ago, but I continue giving my life to Him every day by living for Him.  I am so glad that I serve a risen Savior and I am an heiress to the King.  I know that Jesus is the only way for me and while His death was tragic, it was necessary and I am so happy that He died to save me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog and leave a comment, it means the world to me!