Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Strawberry Yogurt Popsicles

So I haven't reinvented the wheel or anything, but I did decide that I was tired of giving my kids popsicles that were just full of sugar and empty calories.  I got the idea from a friend of my husband's.  By day she works in a company that makes some pretty cool building products, but in her spare time she makes Wholly Pops and sells them at her local farmers markets.  Too bad she lives in Georgia, because I love the idea of all natural, healthy popsicles which are what her Wholly Pops are.  She told us how easy healthy popsicles are to make and it started my wheels turning.  Last year I made Minty Peach Pops and the kids loved them.  They didn't even realize that there wasn't much sugar, it was just mostly fruit, but I am lucky and my kids always devour anything fruit.  So last week when I was at the grocery store and saw that the strawberries were on sale, I bought a couple of containers knowing if we didn't eat them right away I could turn them in to some tasty popsicles.  So a day or two went by and I was busy and forgot I had the strawberries in the fridge.  I saw them, pulled them out and saw they needed to be used ASAP so I whipped up a batch of Strawberry Yogurt Popsicles.  WARNING:  These are tasty and it will be hard to stop with just one, but whatever you do just don't tell your kids that they are healthy it will take away their fun of eating a popsicle.  :)

Strawberry Yogurt Popsicles
Popsicle containers
2 containers of Strawberries
1 16 oz container of Plain Yogurt
Fresh Mint (to taste so the amount will vary)
Agave Syrup (to taste so the amount will vary)
Food processor or blender
The ingredients (ignore the extras on the counter in the background)
1.  Dice up your strawberries, according to the texture you desire.  If you want nice chunks of strawberries in the popsicle just dice them, if you want them finer run them through a food processor, or if you want you can throw them in the blender and blend them up.  I used my mini food processor and diced them pretty fine because I wanted tiny chunks of strawberries in my popsicles.

2.  Once the strawberries are all cut up, finely chop up the mint leaves.  (I threw mine in the food processor with one of the batches of strawberries to assure that the mint was chopped into super fine pieces.)

Diced strawberries and mint
3.  Mix the yogurt into the strawberries and mint and stir well.

4.  This is the step where you get to play.  Taste the strawberry yogurt mixture.  You can leave out the agave syrup if you choose to, I thought the mixture tasted pretty good at this point, but I knew my kids would be expecting a little bit of sweetness in their popsicles.  Add a little bit of the agave syrup at a time, mix well and taste until you get the desired sweetness for your popsicles.
The mixed ingredients.  I admit, it doesn't look so tasty here, but it really does taste good.
5.  Spoon the mixture into the popsicle containers and pop them in to the freezer.
Almost ready for the freezer
6.  Once the popsicles are frozen, ENJOY!!!  I made 20 popsicles out of this recipe and had plenty of left over mixture to make more.
Tasty Strawberry Yogurt Popsicles with a cheesy grin :)

2 comments:

  1. Delicious idea!!!
    Aimee @ ShugarySweets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am always looking for ways to get less sugar into my kids.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog and leave a comment, it means the world to me!