Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Legacy

One definition of the word legacy is something transmitted by or received from an ancestor or predecessor or from the past.  A legacy is something that is handed down from generation to generation.  In some families legacies are a beautiful thing and in others, well, not so good.  I have been doing a lot of thinking about legacy in the past few days because of a funeral I attended at our church recently.  The funeral was for a man with quite a legacy and although I didn't know him very well personally, I do know several of his family members very well and so I went to show my support of their whole family.  This man that is now rejoicing in Heaven has an awesome legacy, that is very inspiring.  He was an Elder in our church.  He woke up every day and began each day in prayer.  He prayed for every family member by name (a family that had 5 children, 30 grandchildren, and 17 great-grandchildren so far).  Then after he prayed for family members, he prayed for every church member by name and their families.  He didn't do anything without consulting The Lord in prayer.  He led his life by example and led his life for Jesus.  He led his life in such a way that his children all made the decision to accept Jesus as their personal savior.  He led his life in such a way that his grandchildren have made decisions to accept Jesus as their personal savior.  He led his life in such a way that as the great-grandchildren are growing up, they are making the decision to accept Jesus as their personal savior.  This man led his life in such a way that many people besides his family made the decision to accept Jesus as their personal savior because of the examples he set.  It was amazing to sit at his funeral and hear person after person tell how much he loved God, how he lived for God, how he passed God on to his family, and how he wasn't afraid to die because he knew he was, without a doubt, going to Heaven to be with God.  It was beautiful to hear this man's legacy and to think of all the times I have seen his family live it out.  At the end of the service our pastor challenged us with this thought...What is your legacy?  What are you passing on and leaving behind for your family?  After hearing all that was said at the funeral, I was lost in thought.  I know there are many things I am leaving my family, but am I teaching them enough about God, faith, and the Bible? Will they be able to say that I led my whole life for Jesus, that I left them a shining example to follow?  That thought just left me stunned.  I need to start living more for God and letting that shine through all I do.  I need to let the world see Jesus shining in me instead of just seeing me.  I want my legacy to be that I lived for God and served God to the best of my ability so that God will be able to tell me "Well done good and faithful servant."  What kind of legacy will you leave?  It is not too late to change your legacy if you are not living for God and accept Jesus Christ as your personal savior.

2 comments:

  1. Faith, Family, Friends - a great way to summarize priorities in this lifetime that if lived out will yield a fourth F - Fruitfulness. Love ya lil sister.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog and leave a comment, it means the world to me!