It is cold here today, no really COLD, like blizzard cold. Oh wait, yes we really are in the middle of a blizzard today. There isn't tons and tons of snow here, but it is blowing, drifting, limited visibility, and extremely windy - the perfect conditions for a blizzard. When it is cold we like comfort food. The stuff that warms your soul and makes your belly happy. While we did not have this specific meal for dinner, this one is a family favorite. We love pasta and we make it a little better for you by adding veggies. Here is the recipe:
1 box of pasta (we like to use whole wheat elbows or penne)
1 roll of sausage (mild or hot if you like it spicy)
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 small onion, chopped
1 cup chicken broth
Seasoning to taste - we like Trader Joe's African Smoke or a teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes
1. Brown the sausage in a large pan.
2. When the sausage is almost completely browned, add in the garlic and chopped onion.
3. While the sausage is cooking, boil the pasta according to package directions.
4. Drain the pasta, reserving a cup of the cooking liquid in case you need it for the sauce.
5. Drain any grease off of the sausage and then add the chicken stock and keep on low.
6. Add the kale to the pan with sausage and wilt down - 3-4 minutes. If you don't have enough "sauce" to coat the pasta, add a little bit of the pasta water you reserved.
7. Once the kale is wilted, add the pasta to the mixture and toss to coat.
8. Place in serving bowl and add Parmesan cheese.
Sometimes we add a can of cannellini beans to the mix. I toss in the beans and the juice when I add the chicken stock to the meat. The beans help stretch the meal a little and add a little extra fiber. Let me know if you try this recipe and what you think of it.