Friday, December 18, 2015

Pizza Soup

Fridays are pizza night around our house.  This is a tradition that we started this year and we love it.  We always know what is for dinner on Friday night - it's pizza!  What we don't know is what kind of pizza we will have.  We have had thin crust pizza, deep dish pizza, thick crust pizza, calzones, cauliflower crust pizza, pizza casserole, and the list goes on, but I will stop because I am starting to feel like I belong in a certain movie listing off types of shrimp.  Anyway since I started the THM plan, one of our favorites pizza dishes became pizza casserole which is super simple because there is no crust to be made.  I make it by layering whatever meat we are using, veggies, sauce, cheese, and then repeat (much like lasagna without the noodles or cottage cheese) and then you bake it for about 20 minutes until it gets nice and hot and bubbly.  So one Friday night we were having pizza casserole when my son said, "Hey Mom!  I bet this casserole would make a good soup, can I try it next Friday?"  I quickly said sure and he was excited to figure out what he needed to do in order to make the soup.  My son gave me his permission to share that he does like to cook and he did create this recipe.  The recipe is flexible because you just basically add what you would to pizza and that varies by your own personal taste.  So for this recipe's sake, I will be telling you what we add feel free to adjust it to what your family prefers.

Pizza Soup

Pizza Soup created by my son
1 roll of sausage. browned and drained
2 qt. of tomatoes with juice
1 can of black olives, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 head of cauliflower, chopped*
Pepperoni - 20-30 slices chopped up
2 cups Chicken broth
Salt - to taste
Pepper - to taste
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
Pepperoni Chips** for topping
Cheese for topping

In a large soup pot, brown and drain the sausage.  Return the sausage to the pan and add the rest of the ingredients except for the toppings.  Cook on medium high for 20-25 minutes until all vegetables are tender, but not mushy.  When you ladle your soup into bowls, top with the pepperoni chips and cheese.  This is one of our favorite recipes.  If I have more veggies, I add them to the soup.  I have also added mushrooms, kale, and zucchini depending on what we have in the fridge.  :)
*We use chopped cauliflower in this recipe to take the place of noodles.  The cauliflower keeps it THM friendly as a "S" meal.  If you are not following any sort of eating plan that requires you to eat low-carb, feel free to use noodles instead.
**To make the pepperoni chips - fold a paper towel in half on a plate and place pepperoni on top.  Pop the plate into the microwave uncovered for 20-25 seconds.  It will sizzle and crackle, but crisp your pepperoni and make them so they are crispy and you can crumble them over your soup. (I must warn you if you show your kids how to do this, you might go through pepperoni faster than normal.)

Let us know if you try this recipe and what you add to it to make it your own.  Enjoy!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog and leave a comment, it means the world to me!