Wednesday, June 22, 2016

MySchoolYear.com Review

Over the years of homeschooling I have always kept records for our attendance, grades, and lesson plans.  Although I have been consistently doing these things, I don’t feel like I have ever been very efficient at it.  I have always thought that there has to be a better and easier way to track all of this information and that is what I discovered when I recently had the chance to review My School Year (Homeschool Record Keeping) from MySchoolYear.com.  I received an annual membership to this online site so that I could check it out, work with it, and see what it is all about. 
MySchoolYear.com ReviewHomeschool Record keeping Tracking Reporting Planning Organization Transcripts Report Cards High school Lesson plans

MySchoolYear.com is a website that allows you to quickly set up your school, add multiple students, set up a schedule, and then quickly create classes and lessons for your students.  It helps you set up everything you might need in your school using prompts to help remind you of things you might have forgotten.  The site has 4 main areas – Homeroom, Planbook, Reports, and Teacher’s Aid.  The Homeroom area is designed so you can visually track the status of every student at a glance. It has charts for attendance and school hours, a reading log, and you can quickly glance at other areas the site is tracking for you.  The Planbook is your tracking tool.  This is where you can create your lessons and once they are created you can mark them complete, reschedule them, or change the lesson entirely.  You can see what is overdue, current, and upcoming.  The Planbook also allows you to search, filer, and sort classes and lessons.  The Teacher’s Aid section is where you will find reminders of what you need to do next.  It prompts you to enter lessons, class times, and more to help you keep accurate records.  The Reports area allows you to create various reports and awards to give your student throughout the year.  The reports are based on what you are tracking and the grades you are entering.  You can even create transcripts, report cards, and lesson plans in this area.  MySchoolYear.com also has areas for tools and setup that help you create exactly what you want in your lesson plans and grading.
This shows the reports you can create, the tools area, and setup area.
This shows the lesson plans I entered, where you can create a plan, and lesson plan tools.
Like I said at the beginning I have always kept records for our school, but I don’t feel like I have ever been very efficient at it.  The only exception to this is tracking our attendance.  It is our only major requirement for our state and I have always done this very well.  Other than attendance, I have always felt like I have had a VERY time consuming process of tracking grades and lessons.  So I was really excited to find out all about MySchoolYear.com and really see what the My School Year (Homeschool Record Keeping) could do. I was very impressed with what I found.  Their site is very easy to use and it is very helpful with the prompts it gives you to keep entering more details.  Once I got logged in, I was quickly able to add a school schedule, my students, and then start adding classes for next Fall.  I also added a reading list for each of my kids for books they are working on reading this summer and will be adding to it once I know what books we will read for school.  I like how easy it is to create lesson plans in this program and they even have a feature for repeating plans so that you don’t have to keep typing the same thing over and over.  I was tested the program on this by putting in a general lesson plan for Buddy’s math.  I set up a repeating schedule that he does one lesson of math a day starting with lesson 1 on our first day of school and ending with lesson 180 on our last day of school.  I was able to add general instructions of read through the lesson, complete sample problems, complete homework problems, and complete any worksheets for the lesson.  Then I checked my work in the Planbook and I can quickly pull up Buddy, math, and see what I have assigned.  Once he starts working on these assignments I will also be able to see what he has completed and the grades earned along with anything left undone.  I did the same with some classes for Little Miss.  As I figure out what we are working on for each student, I have been adding classes and assignments for them.  The Homeschool Record Keeping has been great for me to add to as I plan out our school year.  It was quick and easy to figure out our attendance days for next year and to mark days that we will have off.  I can search date ranges to see what the kids should be working on or lessons that I have entered in.  I can see all their information at a glance in the homeroom.  I can filter my search in several different ways or I can see the big picture for our school year.  One of my other favorite things about this program is that it sends you an email each with with the assignments that are due that week.  How cool is that?  I am really loving working on this program and how easy and user-friendly it is.  I will definitely continue using this program throughout our school year and I will be updating it as I get further into my planning for next school year with more detailed lesson plans and information.  I am also very excited that once we begin our school and I have graded work, I can just enter the grades and this program will calculate everything for me.  I will know how my kids are doing on a daily basis and that is awesome to me.
The weekly emails, Teacher's Aid prompts (I added the pushpins to cover names), and repeating lesson plans.
I would definitely pay to use the My School Year (Homeschool Record Keeping) from MySchoolYear.com.  They offer a couple of different pricing plans.  You can pay $5 a month or you can save money by purchasing an annual plan for just $40.  You can discover more about MySchoolYear.com on their website.  You can also find them on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.  You can learn more about the My School Year (Homeschool Record Keeping) here.  You can also see how my friends on the Schoolhouse Review Crew have been using this program by clicking on the banner below.
Homeschool Record Keeping {MySchoolYear.com Review}

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog and leave a comment, it means the world to me!