Clear bulb ornaments - any size (I happened to have mini-ornaments left over from last year)
Various shades of nail polish
Clothes Pins (this I added, you will see why)
1. Fill your bowl of water 3/4 of the way full.
2. Using the clothes pins, clip them on the tops of the ornaments. This made it easier for me to dip my ornaments and then to set them down to dry.
4. With a second color of nail polish, take the brush, dip it into the polish and then tap it over the other color of nail polish in the bowl of water. Ideally you want a drop here or there, but if you end up with a big blob it is okay.
(Note: I did try adding glitter nail polish to the water and it made the colors separate so don't add it to the water. I did end up using glitter polish for some sparkle, but I waited until the next day when my ornaments were dry and just brushed it directly on the ornament.)
5. Using your toothpick, swirl the colors until it is a pretty pattern or as mixed as you want it to be.
6. Grab the ornament by the clothes pin and then dip it into the nail polish water. Swirl it in the water to get as much nail polish on the ornament as desired.