Thursday, January 26, 2017

10 Reasons I Love Homeschooling

We have been blessed to be a homeschool family from the very beginning of school in our house, so our family doesn't know what it is like to not homeschool.  We just know that we love homeschooling.  Even on the rough days where it seems like nothing is going right, it is still a privilege and honor to be able to teach my kids.  I pray that I never forget that or take it for granted.  This week I thought I would share with you 10 Reasons I Love Homeschooling just for fun and encouragement.  This list is in no particular order, just the random order I thought of things.
  1. We Make Our Own Schedule  - We typically like to do our school in the morning so we have our afternoons free, but sometimes we have to flip our schedule around and because we homeschool it isn't an issue.
  2. Struggles in Subjects Can Be Addressed Immediately - All kids struggle in the different school subjects at some point and homeschoolers are no different.  The great advantage that we have is we work one on one with our kids and when there is a subject they are struggling in or just not getting we can deal with it right away.  I remember way back when Buddy was little and just couldn't get the concept of changing groups of hundreds into groups of one and ten.  I must have taught him 20 different ways, but it just wasn't clear to him.  Hubby came home and sat down with him and within 5 minutes Buddy had figured it out.  I was so glad that we were able to figure out how to help him with this instead of having him fall behind.
  3. We Get to Choose Our Curriculum - This is HUGE!  It is a huge burden, but it is a huge blessing at the same time.  We know each of our kids well and we can find something for each of their learning styles and pick the curriculum that fits each of them best.  We don't have to stick to just one grade level if they work ahead and we can add in the electives they are really interested in as part of our school.  
  4. We Can Teach and Learn About God and the Bible - One of the main reasons we started homeschooling was so that God could be a part of our school and we could make sure that our kids had a good Biblical foundation. 
  5. I Don't Have to Worry About What My Kids Are Learning - This one sounds completely backwards, but let me explain.  I do worry about what my kids are taught by picking their curriculum.  What I don't worry about them learning are  things that the public schools here teach at far too early of an age in my opinion.  I don't have to worry about them learning about inappropriate topics in school.  I don't have to worry that what is being taught goes against our Christian beliefs since I am the one teaching.
  6. We Are Flexible - My kids are really, really good at just rolling with whatever comes along.  If we need to adjust they go with it and they don't fall apart or make a big deal about it.  They know we can adjust our day, adjust the assignments, or switch things up and still accomplish what we need to accomplish.  We take the odd appointment times at the orthodontist, dentist, and doctor because we can get in and get out since we can adjust our school schedule around the appointment.  We don't have to try to fit it all in before or after school and they aren't going to get in trouble for having to be pulled out of school for these appointments.
  7. I Get to Watch My Kids Learn - I love seeing my kids learn.  I love when they get excited about learning.  I love seeing when the light bulb goes off for them when they have been struggling and then they finally figure it out.  It is rewarding.
  8. We Get to Dig Into Topics - If there is something one of the kids is really interested in, we explore it.  We dig into their favorite topics and help them learn even more about them.  We can spend a day on a topic or a few weeks learning more.  Buddy loves wolves and a couple of years ago he did a fantastic research paper on them.  He spent a couple of weeks finding all the information and digging up the facts.  He put them altogether and presented an amazing research paper.  It was fun to watch him explore.  Little Miss loves math and so there are days when she does 3 or 4 days of math in one day.   If she loves it, why stop her?
  9. We Read A LOT - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE reading.  We read a lot of school and while my kids aren't always a huge fan of reading like I am, they have gotten so lost in books they won't stop reading until they are done with the book.  I love that we get to read for school and that my kids get introduced to so many different types of books.
  10. We Can Turn Just About Anything Into a Lesson - We have made baking cookies a science lesson.  Interesting things happen when you leave out things like baking soda or baking powder on purpose to see if your theory is right.  We have done grocery store math, by having the kids round up prices on what we buy and keep a running total in their head or on a calculator.  We have made our own levers and catapults rather than just reading about them for science.  The list goes on and on.  Sometimes you just have to make lessons hands on, real life, and we can do that in our school.
This is just the tip of the iceberg for what I love about homeschooling.  I am sure I could come up with a much longer list if I sat here typing longer.  Like I said before I am very grateful that I have the opportunity to homeschool.  Do you homeschool?  What do you love about your homeschool?

This week I am joining my friends on the Homeschool Review Crew as they discuss what they love about their homeschool.  Click the banner below to see what they love.  I know I will be.  This round up will open on Friday, January 27, 2017.
The things we  LOVE about  Home  Schooling

2 comments:

  1. What a great list! I wholeheartedly agree with all 10 of your reasons :) I especially like #5 and #10. It's really wonderful that our faith can be an intricate part of every moment of every day. And on a camping trip one year, a friend commented that my kids never really leave school - we make everything into a learning experience! It's what I call Life-Long-Learning.
    Thanks for sharing with us - blessings to you and your family on this homeschooling journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you can just stop and address deficiencies in learning immediately as well. . Visiting from things we love roundup.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog and leave a comment, it means the world to me!