Thursday, April 6, 2017

I'm Overwhelmed, but Encouraged

The goal of my blog has always been to be real, really real, and honest.  So today I come to you and tell you as I sit here typing I am feeling a little overwhelmed.  I am not sharing to make anyone feel sorry for me or to have a pity party.  I am sharing because I want to be real with you.  I am a real person with real feelings writing this blog.  I have days where the to-do list is so long that I can't even look at it.  I really just ignore it because it feels like I can't accomplish it.  So as I sit here today, being one of those days I have a to-do list a mile long, I feel overwhelmed and I just need to get it off my chest.  I sit here with one more cup of coffee, procrastinating (sort of), and let my brain unwind while I type.
A Glimpse of Normal Blog, Jesus
Realistically I know that my to-do list isn't a mile long and it is not a list that anyone other than me knows about or is expecting me to get done.  It is a self-inflicted list and it just keeps rolling through my head.  If I were completely honest with you, I would tell you that my self-inflicted to-do list has been nuts since December when we first started this whole process of moving.  I am really loving our new house and I saw God's hand on our every step throughout the process of moving from finding our house to negotiating the details for our house to selling our old home and all the details for that.  (That is a whole other blog post though.)  But the whole process has been very overwhelming and I have not gotten into a great routine since we moved.  I think that is where my problem is.  I really need to get back into a good routine now that we have settled into our new house more.  I need to just start tackling things one at a time:

  • The pile of grading that I seriously just went through last week and now my kids have buried me in grading again.
  • Getting grades entered into the tracking software I use.  I DO have the grades recorded, but I just need to enter them into the tracking.
  • Laundry....seriously, does it ever end?
  • Dishes - yes they are last night's dishes...don't judge
  • Catching up my calendar....more accurately my calendars - I have a great planner I use daily, but I don't carry it everywhere with me so I add dates to my phone.  I was texting back and forth with my aunt yesterday and figuring out a meeting time for the horse club we are in and realized that I was really glad that we couldn't have the meeting on the day I had said okay to because we did ended up having a commitment I had forgotten about.  It is just a matter of sitting down and double checking all the areas I keep track of dates.
  • Blogging....it is something I am always working on in the back of my mind.  I just need to get it written down.  I have plenty of posts coming up, it is just getting the words to flow.
  • Easter projects 
  • Picking out recipes for Easter dinner.
  • Cleaning
  • Forms I need to get filled out
  • ....
The mental to-do list just keeps going on and on.  Can you see why my brain is mush right now? But the really cool thing about all of this is this... 


As I was sitting here feeling frustrated because my brain feels like mush, God very promptly put this verse in my mind and on my heart.  Matthew 11:28 "Then Jesus said, "Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest." (NLT Version)  God knows I feel overwhelmed and weary today.  He knows exactly what I am feeling.  He also knows that I can either keep feeling this way or give it all to Him and let Him have it all.  When I let Him have every burden I carry, HE will give me rest.  That is exactly what He is doing for me today.  As I started feeling overwhelmed I started praying and as I started telling God there was no way I could get everything done by myself, the more peace I started feeling.  It sounds crazy, but when we give God our burdens, worries, fears, lists...He can fill us with peace and rest that only He can provide.  My prayer today is:

Father God - Today I feel overwhelmed and I know I am not the only one who does.  It feels like there is so much to do and not near enough time to get it all done.  I feel tired and weary before I ever start doing the things I need to finish, but I know you don't want me to feel like that.  Your word tells me when I am weary and have heavy burdens, I can come to you and you will give me rest.  I pray for your rest today not only for me, but for anyone else that might be feeling like me today.  Help us to give you all of our worries, fears, lists, and burdens so we can feel your rest and your peace.  Thank you for the peace and rest that only you can provide.  Help me see you in all that I do today.  Amen.


2 comments:

  1. you can do it and I think that you are AWESOME...LOVE YOU honey. sending you {{{BIG HUGS}}}

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can completely relate. For me I keep a monthly list of personal goals I want to accomplish and then decide weekly what I will accomplish from the monthly list. I've been doing it since last year, but recently went through an over load/overwhelmed feeling as well. I had to reboot and change my thought process; it will not be the end of the world if I do not accomplish the list. Family time is more important and the rest is just stuff. Way to keep it real and share the Word of God.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog and leave a comment, it means the world to me!