Saturday, September 30, 2017

Mission Possible: October Decluttering

I don't know about you, but some days the "stuff" in my house just overwhelms me.  I am not a hoarder, but if I am not careful my house will look like I am.  I wish I could tell you that I am a minimalist, but I am not sure that lifestyle fits me either.  What I do know is that if things are not in their place in my house, it starts to spiral downward fast and then I am left with an entire day of cleaning rather than just a few hours.  We are in the process of getting ready for some pretty big renovation projects, gutting the kitchen down to the studs renovation projects, and if I don't get my house in order before these things happen, I might lose my mind. 
A Glimpse of Normal Blog, Mission Possible, Decluttering, October
This all lead me, much to my hubby's delight, to needing to do some decluttering.  What is decluttering?  It is getting rid of the things you don't need, don't love, and don't use.  It is getting rid of the things that get in your way, the things that hold you back, and the things that don't make you happy anymore.  I know I have a lot of things that we moved that we just don't need anymore.  How do I know this?  They are still sitting downstairs in the basement in boxes and I haven't thought of them since I packed them.  So I thought I would take the month of October to start the decluttering process.  I want to spend just a few minutes a day going through things and weeding out the things I don't need.  I recommend doing thing for just 15-30 minutes a day and focusing on just one area a day.  If you can, pick at least 5 things to get rid of.  Some days you will have 5, some days you will have much more, and some days you may not have anything.  I put together a calendar to help you with this process.  You can get that calendar by clicking right here.  Below is a small glimpse of the calendar I created.
What should you do with the stuff you find when decluttering?  Throw away any trash you find, shred or burn any documents you no longer need, and make a couple of different piles.  These piles can be things you need to get back to people, things to donate, and if you choose to things to put in a yard sale or on yard sale sites.  The process of decluttering isn't always fun, but when you are done you will probably feel better.  I know I do.  Please come back and let me know how you did on your decluttering.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog and leave a comment, it means the world to me!