Friday, October 13, 2017

Stretching My Skills

I have been quite busy lately, but it has been by choice.  I decided to step waaaaaaay out of my comfort zone, push myself, and join a couple of crochet challenges.  I know this doesn't seem like a very big deal, but it has been for me.  I am a mostly self taught crocheter and I have really wanted to step up my game for a long time.  I want to crochet more and learn more stitching skills so when a crochet blog I regularly read announced they were participating in a Holiday Stashdown Crochet Along, it got my brain thinking.  At first I just ignored it and thought it might be fun, but who has that kind of time.  Then I thought more about it and I decided to just jump in.  Looking all around the sites for the Stashdown Crochet Along led me to another crochet blog and she was doing a different crochet-along and before I knew what I was doing I signed up for that one too.  C-R-A-Z-Y, right????  I wanted to stretch myself a little and grow a little that was all, but somehow I ended up stretching myself a lot and I am growing a lot.  The Stashdown CAL (Crochet Along) started first and patterns for that are released on Mondays.  The 12 Weeks of Christmas Crochet Along started a couple of weeks later and the patterns for that one are released on Fridays.  Both of these crochet alongs have me learning new stitches, new techniques, new lingo, and building my already existing skills.  It is like a crochet school for me.  I am truly enjoying both challenges, the creativity of all the designers, and the challenge of finishing projects in a VERY timely manner.  Y'all know I have some issues finishing crafting projects in a timely fashion, but these challenges are curing that.  I am crocheting away in my spare time and I don't regret it.  At first I felt a little guilty spending so much time crocheting, but then I realized if I want to build my skills I have to spend more time working on them and I wasn't wasting my downtime anymore just vegging out to TV or playing games on my Kindle.  Some of the projects have taken me longer than others.  I missed a couple of projects from each crochet along because we went on vacation soon after they both started, but I will make them up at some point.  Would I join another crochet along?  You bet!  It is growing my skills like mad and I can't wait to share what I am learning with you.  If you follow me on Instagram you will see me posting a lot of my projects because they are easy to upload to my Ravelry account (it is a crochet/knitting site).  What do you do to build your crafting skills?
A Glimpse of Normal
My first ever crochet along project.
A Glimpse of Normal
A finished hat for the 12 weeks crochet along.
A Glimpse of Normal
A finished scarf
A Glimpse of Normal
A finished cowl
A Glimpse of Normal
I learned the "Berry Stitch" on this project.
A Glimpse of Normal
This is my current "WIP" - Work In Progress.  I'm learning the lingo.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog and leave a comment, it means the world to me!